Rich culture of masks in Korea, Japan and China on show at Folk Museum
简介Masks from Korea, Japan and China are being shown at a special exhibition titled "Everyday Use of Ma ...
Masks from Korea, Japan and China are being shown at a special exhibition titled "Everyday Use of Masks, the Ideal of Masked Play," which opened Tuesday at the National Folk Museum of Korea.
On display are 195 masks -- 102 from Korea, 48 from Japan and 45 from China -- each with its own unique story and cultural significance.
Some rare Korean masks dating back to the 1920s and 1930s are on view. At the time, masks were often discarded after a single use, making these masks special.
"In conducting research and presenting masks to the public, our typical approach had been to emphasize the distinctive features that set us apart from our neighboring countries," Oh A-ran, the museum’s researcher in charge of the exhibition, told The Korea Herald on Wednesday during a press viewing. "However, in this exhibition, our primary focus has been to highlight the shared life lessons (of the three countries) which we aim to convey through mask plays."
The first section of the exhibition begins with Korea's “talnori,” a mask play with a conflict-harmony narrative in which characters engage in arguments that end with reconciliation. China's “Nuo opera,” featuring the turbulent life of a legendary historical figure and Japan's “Kagura,” a narrative of prayer, with a focus on wishing to the gods are also introduced in this section. A distinguishing feature of Korean mask play is the active involvement of the audience, in contrast to the mask performances from China and Japan that take place on a stage.
Korea is in the middle of blame-shifting, as banks face more than 3 trillion won ($2.28 billion) in ...
Last year's deadly crowd crush at Itaewon, Seoul claimed more than lives. Recent data showed 1,316 f ...
NCT127 will kick off its third international tour with concerts in Seoul next month, label SM Entert ...
Half of young people struggling financially: Seoul
Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities
S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
[Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
LG wins SOAFEE board membership to join Arm, Bosch
Cast of ‘Norma’ says opera difficult to sing but easy to enjoy
- S. Korea, US, Japan stage trilateral maritime interdiction drills for 1st time in 7 years
- Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
- Scholars shed light on late Samsung chief’s management initiatives
- New fad uncovers old school transcripts for dose of nostalgia
- Opposition leader away in court with critics calling for his departure from party
- [Herald Interview] Chile, Korea need to boost global lithium value chain: minister
- Beef prices have soared 100
- “이게 KF
- Ruling party to launch innovation committee after crushing by
- [Herald Interview] Director Lee Chung
- BTS' V joined by Jimin in solo fan meeting 'Vicnic'
- HD Korea Shipbuilding to build world's first ammonia
- Returning minister Yu In
- BTS Jungkook's star
- LG Innotek wins patents for EV charging technology
- [New in Korean] Booker Prize
- SK chief discusses ICT partnerships with Estonia, Carribean Community
- Andong, serene destination for immersing in traditions
- [New on scene] Hong Xa
- Wage talks between Kia, labor union fail again
- Blackpink's Jennie makes solo debut on Official UK Singles Chart
- S. Korea to review additional measures against N. Korea's arms transfer to Russia
- Posco Future M achieves 100% recycling of refractory waste
- S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
- Choo calls for end to protectionism, supply chain recovery during G20 meeting
- Seoul to implement alert system to manage overcrowded areas
- [Top Envoy] Russian satellite help not likely priority for North Korea: Chun
- [이번 주 리뷰] 중동 전쟁 우려…국민의힘 보선 참패(9~14일)
- Over 90% of fines for illegal short selling imposed on foreign firms
- S. Korea entering 'recovery phase' amid geopolitical uncertainties: Choo